Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cooking out of the pantry

Saving money success!  I have a friend staying with me for the next 10 days or so, and she is encouraging with the whole "let's have food at home and save money and eat healthier"  (Except she pulls out Hershey's bars after dinner for us to share for dessert!!!) 

She noticed that I had 2 cans of garbanzo beans AKA chickpeas in my pantry and said something about making hummus. . . since I don't have a food processor, I looked for a recipe online that could use them whole and found this amaaaaazing vegetarian dish!

http://www.food.com/recipe/chickpeas-with-spinach-greek-81968

We made it last night, after I worked until 7:30 and it was easy peasy.  The hardest part was dicing the onion and then sauteeing it without burning the garlic - I have the tendency to want to use high heat.  After that, I just threw in the rest of the ingredients and watched tv while the flavors mingled . . .

So, had the chickpeas, had the frozen spinach, had garlic and red pepper flakes, and spices (made it without paprika bc I don't know where that ran off to) . . purchased lemons and tomatoes and onions and FETA to make it awesome! so overall, spent approximately $7 more dollars on the meal.  And have just had the leftovers for lunch, and will have enough to eat it again tomorrow and Friday . . . if I don't offer any to my office mates. 

I feel good about eating the veggies and VERY GOOD about the fact that I have at least 3 meals out of this delicious, fairly nutritious, and cheap/already paid for meal.  If you love mediterranean flavors, make this food now!  sooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment