Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Student loans: A crisis in waiting"

Looks like I am not alone in the loan/income struggle.  My MSN homepage featured a nicely written, short article about the state of student loans.  And yes, my total loan balance is higher than the average.

Here's the final paragraph:

""Unless students limit their debt burdens, choose fields of study that are in demand, and successfully complete their degrees on time, they will find themselves in worse financial positions and unable to earn the projected income that justified taking out their loans in the first place," Moody’s writes."

That is a LOT for an 18-22 year old to think about!  I know I certainly wasn't thinking of college as an investment that needed a certain amount of returns before being worthwhile.  College was what happened after high school.  You go to college for an education and experience life on your own.  And if a private school offers you scholarships and feels like a good place to call home for 4 years, that's all there is to it.

Sure, I could have majored in healthcare or engineering.  But I'm not sure I would have been successful in either area.  My passion is for people, particularly low-income families and education for all.  There just isn't money in working with kids.  They aren't yet producers and there will just never be money in working with people who don't have a lot.

See the whole article by following the link below:

http://money.msn.com/saving-money/article.aspx?post=557c0396-01c7-426b-8438-976aac650f27

No comments:

Post a Comment